International / EU Relocation - Moving House
Planning Your Move
- Start searching for international movers that handle household goods: begin your search at least 3 months in advance to allow enough time.
- Request a Quote, providing information about your cargo and destination.
- Choose at least 3 international moving companies to compare their quotes based on the services included.
- Request an in-house survey approximately 1 to 2 months prior to your scheduled moving date.
- Understand your Packing Options: most international movers typically offer two types of packing services:
- Full Packing, in which the mover packs all your household goods and personal belongings
- Partial Packing, in which the mover packs furniture, fragile items, and oversized items, while the homeowner packs non-breakable and loose items (e.g. clothing, books, CDs, etc.).
- Allow ample time to clean your house and prepare for the hand-over to the new homeowner.
- Confirm your choice of moving company and request the packing date in writing. Be sure that you receive the confirmation also in writing.
If you opt for Partial Packing, here are some tips to prevent troubles with customs:
- Consider Marine Insurance: only Total Loss (FPA) Coverage is accepted.
- Keep all important travel documents and VISAs separate.
- Separate the items, such as clothing and personal belongings, that will be carried on the plane
- Your Packing List must be legible. Every item must have a number and description. Do Not use words such as
- Personal Effects
- If you’re packing goods into suitcases, bags, coolers, plastic crates, baskets, safe boxes, bigger pieces of furniture, etc., be sure to show descriptions of the contents. If the containers are empty, write “empty” (e.g. “COOLER – EMPTY“).
- For the safety of your other personal belongings, Do Not pack cleaners, paints, solvents, or compressed air sprays, as the cans can leak or rupture during the voyage.
- It is Not advisable to use old fruit boxes or produce boxes, as the risk of soil or pest contamination can draw attention at overseas customs.
Shipping / Moving Day
Whether you’re moving overseas or just shipping a few household items, you want peace of mind that your international shipping company will treat your valuable personal belongings with the utmost care. With door-to-door and port-to-port service, our experienced staff will provide comprehensive estimates for all your personal effects on site to recommend the most cost-effective packing and shipping solution for you.